FOSS Middle School 2nd Edition Diversity of Life Complete Kit, 1 Class Use, with 32 Seats Digital Access
School Specialty Shipping Policy
Items Shipped Within the Contiguous 48 United States
- Item Ships Free with your pricing program.
Free Shipping Eligible
- Free shipping and handling on eligible supply orders of $49 or more. Free shipping calculation is based on the subtotals of eligible items, after any additional discounts are applied.
- For subtotals less than $49, the shipping and handling charge is $9.95.
Free Shipping Eligible with your Pricing Program
- If the pricing program minimum subtotal is met item Ships Free with your Pricing Program. Free shipping calculation is based on the subtotals of eligible items on your pricing program, after any additional discounts are applied.
- Free Shipping Eligible when Pricing Program minimum is met. If the pricing program minimum subtotal is not met shipping and handling charges are 15% of the subtotal of the items, after any additional discounts are applied, with a $99 minimum charge.
Free Shipping Ineligible
- Shipping and handling charges are 15% of the subtotal of the items, after any discounts are applied, with a $9.95 minimum charge.
Free Shipping Ineligible
- Shipping and handling charges are 15% of the subtotal of the items, after any discounts are applied, with a $99 minimum charge. If the subtotal is greater than $1,000, please call 1-877-350-0645 or E-mail email@example.com for a freight quote
Items Shipped to Hawaii, Alaska and InternationalSee our Hawaii & Alaska Shipping Policy and International Shipping Policy for details.
Bridging research and practice, Foss Second Edition Middle School Modules engage students and teachers in active investigations (including outdoor experiences and online simulations) that lead to deeper understanding of science and engineering concepts, as well as the natural and designed world. This set allows for 1 full class use among up to 32 students, and all materials come packaged in durable stacking drawers for ease of storage in the classroom. The Diversity of Life Kit for Grades 6 to 8 will helps students explore the question 'what is life?" We usually know it when we see it, but what is it? This course introduces students to the big picture of life on Earth. Students will discover that all living things, despite their complexity, share the same basic characteristics, and learn that all organisms (archaea, bacteria, single-celled microbes, multicellular fungi, plants, and animals) are composed of cells, and that a single cell is the fundamental unit of life. Students will also explore the relationship of organisms to their environment, and recognize life as a temporary condition experienced for various lengths of time by all living things. It is our hope that, in their efforts to answer the question "what is life?" students will develop an appreciation for the awesome diversity of life on Earth and a personal interest in life in all its forms.
The module features 8 hands-on course investigation activities, which include: (1) What is Life?: students will begin investigating life by thinking about the characteristics and requirements that all life has and begin to develop a definition of life; (2) The Microscope: students will learn to use a compound microscope to open up the world of microorganisms and cells; (3) The Cell: students will discover cells and think about what it means to be a single-celled or multicellular organism; (4) Domains: students will learn about the levels of complexity (from atom to cell) and begin to apply a burgeoning understanding of life to unfamiliar organisms; (5) Plants, The Vascular System: students will conduct an investigation to understand how the vascular system transports water throughout a vascular plant; (6) Plant Reproduction and Growth: students will dissect a seed and plant various grains to investigate how environmental factors affect germination and growth and explore the role of pollinators in sexual reproduction; (7) Insects: students will explore the Madagascar hissing cockroach to understand the world of multicellular organisms; and (8) Diversity of Life: students will conduct a bioblitz to learn about the biodiversity that exists in your area.
- Investigation Guide: this core instructional tool provides educators with the support to help students successfully facilitate the investigations
- Teacher Resources: this book guides teachers in how the elements of FOSS work and provide notebook and assessment masters
- Equipment Kit: specifically designed, durable equipment and materials in FOSS lead to successful investigations for 32 students and 1 class use
- FOSS Science Resources: a hardcover book that includes student readings that connect students' firsthand experiences to informational text
- FOSS Technology: access for both teachers and students to a one-stop online resource for eBooks, eInvestigations Guides, videos, virtual investigations and tutorials, interactive whiteboard activities, and much more
- Investigations Guide:
- Investigation 1: What is Life?
- Investigation 2: The Microscope
- Investigation 3: The Cell
- Investigation 4: Domains
- Investigation 5: Plants, the Vascular System
- Investigation 6: Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Investigation 7: Insects
- Investigation 8: Diversity of Life
- Teacher Resources
- 32 Science Resource Books for Students
- Nonconsumable Equipment
- Consumable Materials for 1 Class Use
- 32 Seats of Digital Access for 7 Years